The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain;
the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions.
Proverbs 10:11 (NLT)
There are two regular appointments on my calendar each week. Each weekday you will find the same person’s name on my list of people to call. I have three men in my life with whom I converse regularly. We are sharing the journey together. When life and schedules throw a wrench in our weekly get togethers I can feel the difference, and it’s not a positive one.
There is chit-chat and small talk with these men. Sports, movies, hobbies and interests are regular topics of conversation. But the conversations regularly meander into much deeper territory: marriage, children, fatherhood, children, parenting, work, manhood, God, sex, finances, and etc. There is no subject that is off the table. We cheer one another when there are things to celebrate. We share the burden when life gets heavy.
I thought about these men when I read the above proverb this morning, along with a handful of other men with whom I have less frequent but just as refreshing conversations. I thought about Wendy with whom I have daily conversations about everything. The conversations with my wife and these men a life-giving fountain. They fill my heart and life. They overflow into my daily life and work. Like crisp, clear water flowing in a fountain they refresh, soothe, heal, inspire, motivate and energize.
We all need good companions journey, along with the life-giving conversations that happen as we walk this life road together.
- Companions for the Journey http://message(tomvanderwell.wordpress.com)
- Companions for the Journey Part 2 http://message(tomvanderwell.wordpress.com)
- We All Follow Footsteps…Choose Well (tomvanderwell.wordpress.com)
- My Daily Cross Road Blues (tomvanderwell.wordpress.com)
- Resolve Your Issues – A Devotion (lthomason.wordpress.com)
- Friends Who Help You Strengthen Your Character (cnhfaith.me)
- Friends Who Help You Strengthen Your Character (tirochelle.wordpress.com)