Do you find yourself saying, "I should come back to this site more often to see what Tom, Wendy and the girls are up to"?
Subscribe! Simply put your e-mail address in the box on the sidebar to your left. Everytime I publish a new post it will be delivered to your in-box.
This time I’m writing out the plan in them, carving it on the lining of their hearts. Hebrews 8:10 (TM)
It’s encouraging to know that God has a plan for me. It’s not a mysterious thing that I have to hunt for. It’s not some coded message. It’s a plan that He reveals in me, day-by-day as He lives in me and walks with me. I may not see the plan fully, but I know the Master planner.
Bible, Hebrews, Chapter-a-Day, Plan
I’ve loaded a few new photos to "Tom’s Album" for your perusing pleasure! You can find the album on the sidebar to your right.
(Right: Wendy studies lines for Much Ado About Nothing)
The former way of doing things, a system of commandments that never worked out the way it was supposed to, was set aside; the law brought nothing to maturity. Another way—Jesus!—a way that does work, that brings us right into the presence of God, is put in its place. Hebrews 7:17-19 (TM)
The law didn’t work. Rules don’t work. Trying to be obedient enough, good enough, giving enough, loving enough, right enough – d-o-e-s-n-‘-t w-o-r-k. Keeping a bunch of rules "brings nothing to maturity." The Jesus "way" is not about what we do or what we don’t do – it’s about what He did – paying the price for our sin – dying a death He didn’t deserve because it was the death we deserve. What works is a free gift of love, forgiveness, acceptance – LIFE that Jesus graciously offers to anyone who will receive it.
Technorati Tags: Hebrews, Chapter-a-Day, Bible, Legalism, Rules, Grace
It’s cool that Taylor and Wendy both dance with the same dance studio. The semi-annual recital is this Saturday. It’s such a blast to see the little ones in the their pink leotards and tutus. Taylor is doing both jazz-tap and hip-hop. Wendy’s "adult" group is reprising a beautiful ballet number they did last year and then, for a stretch, doing a hip-hop number. Recital is Saturday. If anyone wants to attend, let me know!
So come on, let’s leave the preschool fingerpainting exercises on Christ and get on with the grand work of art. Hebrews 6:1 (TM)
It’s so fun to watch people grow. In our Sunday night small group, I’ve watched people go from saying "I don’t have a creative bone in my body" to making incredible paintings, choreographing dances, and writing beautiful poetry. Yet, growth does not happen without struggle and pain. There were others in our original class (two years ago) who never got beyond the initial twelve weeks. Still others never made it past the first two weeks of class. What a great metaphor. Did I drop out on Christ after two weeks of class? Did I go through the orientation and then give up on it? Or have I continued on growing, pushing, developing my relationship with Him?
Technorati Tags: Christianity, Hebrews, Spiritual Growth
artwork by Anita Kuiper
It’s been a great week!
- Taylor and Madison are looking forward to being done with school in just two more weeks. Taylor is hoping to get both lunch and dinner hours at the restaurant. Madison will start Driver’s Ed as soon as school is out.
- Much Ado About Nothing rehearsals are every week night and Saturday mornings, so Wendy and aren’t doing much else outside of work. Are you coming to the show? It’s FREE! For schedule of performance dates and locations click here.
- We had two graduation parties to attend yesterday, which seemed like a lot until I spoke with Monique, one of our group members who we ran into at Brooke Zehr’s reception. Monique said that she had 27 graduation receptions to attend next weekend. That’s ALOT of white cake.
- Wendy and I stopped by Mom & Dad Vander Well’s yesterday after the graduation parties. They are back from Lake of the Ozarks for a few weeks. Pray for mom’s cataract surgery tomorrow (May 22).
- We then scooted up to Boone to see Mom & Dad Hall and attend Suzanna’s little league softball game. She was adorable in her hot-pink batting helmet. Heidi was home, as well. She and Jesse are planning to move to Iowa City the first of August. We’re looking forward to having them closer!
Technorati Tags: News Briefs, Vander Well, Softball, Much Ado